10.10.07

Thursday February 7th, 2008 Steamboat







Date & Location: Thursday February 7th, 2008 Steamboat

Snow & Weather: 24 degrees still even more FRESHIES

Vertical feet & runs: 15,430 feet 10 runs

Season Total: 202,260 feet 274 runs

Comments: Rode with Vicki. How about a bonus super pow pow day in Steamboat! YEA! Vicki and I spent many hours yesterday at the Hayden airport. We ended up with 3 canceled flights and no way home so United rebooked us for today at 5:03pm. Vicki was super stressed but then loved the bonus day. This meant we took the shuttle back to Steamboat and stayed at the fabulous Western Lodge. Vicki and I got up early and rode for 4 hours in beautiful freshielicious powder. I rode the best I have all week. I think because I had a day off sitting at the Hayden airport to rest legs and wish I was still on the mountain. After Vicki's comments we will breakdown each run for you. If you want to follow along click on the Steamboat link and open up a trail map. I had a blast in Steamboat!

Vicki: Bonus day today! Matt talked me into taking a later flight today and it was definitely a good move. The snow was great today and legs were fresh so we had a blast. We had limited time so we rode hard and fast. We found a good tree run with lots of fresh powder so that was probably best run of day. I had a blast in Steamboat- we were so lucky to get snow everyday! Here's hoping we're as lucky in Montana in two weeks!

10 Run Play by Play (pbp) starts at base Gondola:

Run #1 Matt: Rudi's Run-Lightning-Ego-Burgess Creek Chair
Vicki: same as above
pbp-Matt: Nice groomer to start with, some fluff on the sides.
Vicki: Good start, nice fast run

Run #2 Matt: Burgess Creek Lift Line-Burgess Creek Chair
Vicki: Tower-Norther-Lightning-Ego-Burgess Creek Chair
pbp-Matt: One of the first people up the Burgess Creek lift and saw tons of FRESHIES. It
was rad and I impressed some people on the lift.
Vicki: Found some nice powder on Norther.

Run #3 Matt: Velvet-Moonlight-Sundown Chair
Vicki: same as above
pbp-Matt: Nice little groomer, got to show Vicki the cliff I almost died on yesterday.
Vicki: Another nice groomer quick way to Sundown Chair.

Run #4 Matt: Kuu's Cruise-Sundown Lift Line-Shadows-Sundown Chair
Vicki: High Noon- 2 O'Clock-Daybreak-Sundown Chair
pbp-Matt: Saw some sweet pow from the chair so went solo to scout it out for Vicki and
found some totally awesome deep and mostly untouched freshies!
Vicki: Good run, found some powder on 2 O'Clock but a little disappointed as I thought
there would be more.

Run #5 Matt: Kuu's Cruise-Sundown Lift Line-Shadows-Sundown Chair
Vicki: Kuu's Cruise-Sundown Lift Line-Shadows-Duster-Lights Out-Sundown Chair
pbp-Matt: I took Vicki to my Freshies discovery as I knew she would love it and she did. We
split up at Duster traverse, I went into trees more and Vicki went around because
the trees were tight.
Vicki: Love this run only disappointing part was not enough speed on Duster and had to
hike until I reached Lights Out.

Run #6 Matt: Kuu's Cruise-Sundown Lift Line-Shadows-Sundown Chair
Vicki: same as above
pbp-Matt: This run is so filled with pow pow that we had to do it again but Vicki followed me
all the way down. Yea Vicki! We took a couple of cool photos as well.
Vicki: Good run again, bottom of Shawdows was a little tough for me so had to "elevator"
a little.

Run #7 Matt: Traverse-Closet-Sundown Chair
Vicki: High Noon-2 O'Clock-Daybreak-Sundown Chair
pbp-Matt: Vicki and I split for this run. I wanted to go back in the Closet. I would totally go
back in the Closet if it was as much fun as this with all of the powderlicious fun!
It was great pitch, nice trees and tons upon tons of Freshies! I totally made
monkey noises.
Vicki: Fun fast run, hit the powder edges of 2 O'Clock a little more this time.

Run #8 Matt: High Noon-Sunshine Lift Line-South Peak Chair
Vicki: same as above
pbp-Matt: Vicki and I ripped this groomer apart non-stop from top to bottom. That run will
never be the same again!
Vicki: I loved this run we ripped it and there was lots of powder on the sides of Sunshine
Legs burned at end of this run.

Run #9 Matt: South Peak Flats-Broadway-Broadway Trees- Elkhead Chair
Vicki: South Peak Flats-Broadway-Elkhead Chair
pbp-Matt: Holy shit! When I first dropped into these trees, I was a little nervous that I may
have bitten off more than I could chew. It was steep, the trees were tight as a 3rd
grader and the powder was the deepest of the trip. After first couple of turns I got
into zone and loved this run. One of my best ever!
Vicki: Least favorite run of the day, lots of slow skiers on narrow traversing run.

Run #10 Matt: Tower-Heavenly Daze-Lower Valley View-Stampede-DONE!
Vicki: same as above
pbp-Matt: Nice cruisy groomer at top section and bottom finish section. The run in the
middle that we had intended on hitting was closed so we did a really fun steep
groomer with some fluff on the sides. Great finishing run!
Vicki: Easy last run, wanted to poach Christie Lift Line but the access was completely
closed.

No comments: